When the Metaliq components were first released, I quickly encouraged my company at the time to fork over the $400 so that we could FINALLY have some solid, light-weight Flash components. While, yes, they were light-weight and even pretty solid, I was extremely disappointed to find out that the source code was not included. What quickly became even more frustrating was that Metaliq, at the time, was not actively supporting the components. The documentation was sparse and, more importantly, Metaliq was not responding to any support questions or comments that quickly came up around the Flash community. Oh well… the purchase was already made and we needed to use the components so I made the best of it.
Close to a year later, I suddenly got an email in my inbox from someone at Metaliq. I quickly looked it over and found out that they were updating the documentation and asked if I wanted to review it. Nice…, a year late, but none-the-less nice. What’s more, I could send questions and comments and he was responding… wow actual customer service… unbelievable.
This at least renewed my interest in the Metaliq components. So, when I got to my new company and we needed to work on a Flash 8 project (how it hurts to move backwards), I again encouraged the purchase of the set since the project called for several existing components and there’s no need to use the bloated v2 set. And if nothing else, at least they’re simple to skin. Once the purchase was approved and the components were delivered, I quickly opened them up and noticed something different… a folder labeled source. Could it be? Yes, It was! The latest release of the components comes with all of the classes and all of the flash source files! How nice!
Once I started looking through the source, I wondered something…. could we now compile the mCOM set with MTASC? I quickly set a project up in my editor of choice, FlashDevelop, hit compile and, unfortunately, MTASC complained. I looked at the error, decided to make a fix to the source, and tried again… another error. Damn. Oh well.
A couple of days later, I was talking with my friend Mark Llobrera and lo and behold, he was having the same problem. We quickly started tearing through the code, passing tips back and forth over IM, and within a few minutes had Button compiling with MTASC. Once we realized the MTASC-related problems in the code, they were simple to fix.
This post will not go into the details of how to fix the code, I’ll cover that in my next post. I just wanted to let people know if they already own the component set, and have not done so yet, to request the latest from Metaliq. And, if you’ve been scared off in the past on purchasing the components and still have a lot of pre-Flash 9 work to do, I suggest giving them another try.